The Global Packaging Market size is expected to grow from USD 1.10 trillion in 2023 to USD 1.33 trillion by 2028, at a CAGR of 3.94% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
The packaging sector is one of the industries that is not taking advantage of digital technology as a growth lever, and this needs to be changed. While most packaging manufacturers have embarked on digital transformation, their focus is rather on production tools and management data, but little attention has been paid to the digitalization of marketing and sales processes.
The packaging sector must adopt digital marketing (online prospecting, lead generation, digital sales pipeline) because it is the only tool capable to manage the amount of data needed to maximize the proximity to its direct customers and the expectations and perceptions of consumers and users.
Data, properly processed as part of an effective digital marketing strategy, can be the deciding factor in customized customer interactions.
It’s a key to increasing sales and keeping up with changes in the way the market operates.
The best methods to attract B2B customers
1. The first question to ask yourself is: do you know your potential customers? What is more important, do you know their needs?
Depending on your specialization, the size of your company or the products you sell, the needs of your potential customers are obviously not the same. The key is to offer the right products to the right people. The archetype of the ideal customer is what we call the buyer persona.
You should also think about product and market fit, which involves matching your packaging range to the current needs of your customers. You will never offer a company from the food sector packaging designed for the cosmetics sector, won’t you? Depending on the objectives (environmental responsibility, costs, etc.) you will not approach them in the same way. What are the current needs of your customers? How do your products meet those needs? These are the things you have to think about.
2. Create an offer that is relevant to your target audience
Once you know what your customers are looking for, you can offer them relevant content based on your expertise in their area of interest. The idea is to provide them with a value-added offer to build trust and increase your company credibility as a packaging supplier to their business.
3. Think outside the box for direct prospecting
If your salespeople are spending a lot of time futilely searching for new customers, consider creating more effective prospecting strategies.
This is a technique that allows you to generate a large number of prospect leads quickly by abandoning traditional prospecting methods. For example, you can create lists of potential customers in a few clicks with EasyList, segmenting the market by business sector, company type (manufacturer/distributor, exporter/importer), geography (national/international), company size, etc.
Digital marketing tools to increase packaging sales
1. Online Prospecting
Among digital marketing tools, online prospecting is used for advanced prospecting for new leads, which includes:
- segmenting the target audience into a ready-to-use B2B database
- generation of prospect lists according to specified criteria
- exporting information into a working file according to specified fields
- working with such user-friendly and fast online prospecting and lead generation tools as EasyList, without account registration and in a few clicks.
The packaging companies that know how to make the most of their CRM by integrating it into their digital packaging marketing strategy have a real competitive advantage today.
Armed with an effective CRM tool, you can:
- Collect your customer database, unify and centralize it, avoiding duplication
- View all customer relationships individually, i.e. all interactions with your company: face-to-face meetings, phone calls, email exchanges, and social media posts or clicks on your ads.
- Generate sequences of sales and marketing emails
- Automate lead nurturing and conversion, create sales pipelines, build customer loyalty, drive repeat purchases and measure customer satisfaction.
- Increase the efficiency and productivity of your sales team who focus exclusively on qualified leads and customers, both loyal and at-risk ones.
3. The email campaign tool
This is arguably one of the most lucrative digital marketing tools for attracting new customers.
Considering that probably 100% of your prospects and customers have email and access their inbox on a daily basis, email campaigns are an accurate and highly effective lever for those who know how to use them well.
There are several reasons why an effective B2B digital marketing strategy for packaging industry should include an email campaigns:
- B2B professionals obviously communicate via email.
- The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) does not fully apply to emails sent to professionals. Consent is not required, it is only important to be able to unsubscribe.
There are two main stages to a successful email campaign:
Stage 1: Quality of Email Database
Developing an effective email campaign depends on using a quality database.
If you use your own prospect databases, make sure they are cleaned of incorrect, old or non-existent email addresses.
If you don’t have your own database, build one using professional online prospecting services. EasyList can help you match your target B2B audience and generate a prospect database for email campaign in a few clicks.
Step 2: Email campaign scripts
For a campaign to be effective, you need to develop a variety of customized scripts and templates that will lead each of your customers to the purpose of the mailing: scheduling an appointment, requesting a sample, registering for trial offer, or something else.
Packaging companies looking for new sources of growth recognize email campaigns as an indispensable digital marketing tool because they are extremely accurate and cost-effective.
There are as many strategies for reaching prospects as there are companies in market: depending on which channels your potential customers use, it’s up to you to choose the right mix of these different methods. The key is to conduct effective targeting of your target audience, build a quality prospect database, create the perfect conversion funnel for your personas and tailor your content to your customers’ needs. In addition, marketing and sales teams need to be organized in a way that they can follow up a potential buyer until he or she becomes a customer and receive data about new prospects promptly and on the regular basis.
If you want to save time implementing a new digital marketing strategy, contact Kompass, a global MarTech company that has been connecting B2B sellers and buyers around the world for 80 years. We are at your disposal to accelerate your digital transformation.